Saturday, March 25, 2006

FINAL PAINTING


Here is the final paint of Autumn Barn. The painting size is 22" x 30". To produce the final drawing, I first started by designing the painting. I had some reference photos of barns I had taken on a recent vacation. I tried various compositions applying the elements and principles of design until I settled on a composition. I then created small thumbnail value sketches based on the final design. I also created small color studies to test various color concepts for the composition. I am happy with the painting, but there are some things that I would change. I will more than likely do another painting using this same design so I can implement the changes. As you can see, there is more to a painting than just painting. I enjoy the process and the rewards are very gratifying.

Jeff

5 comments:

Doug said...

Are you familiar with Tony Couch? I attended his WC workshops for a few years. He did barn paintings very similar to this. Good job!

Jeff (trout bum) said...

Jonesy,

Thanks for the compliment! I am familar with Tony Couch. His artwork has a great influence on mine. How did you like his workshop? I am going to attend his workshop in Ohio the end of summer. I like his style, it is the way I feel most comfortable painting and drawing. The past two summers I attended Tom Lynch's workshop. My goal right now is 1 painting a week so I can build a body of work. And hopefully improve. I hope that work does not get in the way! I stopped by your blog today. I like your illustrations. SocMo is awesome! How do you do most of your illustrating?

faeorain said...

I love this painting! Very beautiful and warm.

Nel Jansen said...

As a watercolorist, I can appreciate your beautiful work. Absolutely wonderful!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wow this is so beautiful. What I really love about the art/illustrated blogs are how you get to see other peoples environments, other peoples lives. Your work makes me want to move out there to wear you live! It's so beautiful.